Friday, August 29, 2008

Palin and McCain guarantee historic election.

I like Alaska Governor Sarah Palin for VP. She balances McCain perfectly in my opinion. In McCain we have a tough experienced statesman who is great on foreign policy. From a conservative credential standpoint McCain is much softer on social issues than Gov. Palin. What really pleases me is that Palin will snare in some disenfranchised Hillary supporters, endear the campaign to the true conservatives, and balance the age discrepancy all in one big swoop. Obama-Biden and McCain-Palin creates some interesting contrasts. one has a young presidential candidate with very little experience, weak on foriegn policy, and (strangely) beloved by the people of his home state. Not everyone here in Illinois likes Obama, but the amount of people who do is not only sickening, but also disheartening. The other campaign has a veteran senator in the top slot, his specialty is foreign policy, and he is the truest center-right candidate in years. The GOP VP spot is a young governor who is beloved in her home state (80% approval ratings, thats like 8 times that of congress.) She has a solid economic position, is socially conservative, and her weakest point is foriegn policy. The Democrats are running a long-time Washington hack who supposedly is brilliant on foriegn policy, and is the third most liberal person in the senate. I really hope to see Gov. Palin bring more college votes to the McCain campaign. Overall I think she will be a brilliant pick. As my history prof pointed out today, no matter who wins this is a historic election simply due to the fact that no woman or African-American (or whatever the PC term of the week is) has ever been the president or vice-president. Another bit of trivia, this will only be the third time in US history a man (I can say man because no woman has been elected president) has gone straight from the senate to the presidency. The two who did were Kennedy and Harding. Ironically, both died in office.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Couldn't agree more. I was ecstatic to see Palin tapped for VP. I think she is probably the most conservative person on a presidential ticket since Reagan in '84. I think people will be surprised when she and Biden spar in the VP debate. She is a firecracker and will stand up to Democrats AND Republicans if need be. I can't wait to see her in office.

ps. You accidentaly wrote "Obama-Lieberman" in your post...

Goose said...

I fixed it now, thanks for the catch. I'm not sure where my brain has been today

Eli the Betta said...

I was very surprised by McCain's choice, and I'm certain that it's a very good pick. The conservative base will be energized.

Too bad Palin doesn't have the endorsement of the National Organization of Ugly Women.