Wednesday, May 21, 2008

An Opportunity?

Ted Kennedy has cancer. As much as I dislike the man's policies, It is horrible for any human to be given that diagnosis. I am not celebrating the fact that he has a brain tumor, but it does open an opportunity for the conservatives in Massachusetts. In all likelihood, unless his chemotherapy goes remarkably well, his senate seat will be vacated within a couple terms as he decides to concentrate on other things, or God forbid, if he were to pass on. This is a chance that has not been nearly as available with the popular incumbent. Hopefully, someone can find some good in this very human tragedy and a conservative can win Kennedy's seat. The one thing I fear is that Kennedy will retire but essentially name his successor, and the people of Mass. will unquestioningly follow. Of course, if we had term limits, he would have been out of the senate a long time ago.

edit "some good can come out of the very human" has been changed to "someone can find some good in this very human" because I think it better conveys my meaning.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I don't know how to say this without coming off as more bitchy than I want to be, but it sounds to me like you're celebrating at least a tiny bit. Perhaps that not what you would call it, but that's how it seems to me.

If you can't write an entire post about someone having brain cancer without saying that you hope "some good can come out of" it (according to you, such "good" would be a conservative winning Kennedy's seat), then I say you're not really feeling too poorly for him.