Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hello, Real World?















So, the other day, my girlfriend, my friend, and myself went to a little local restaurant. This menu entry started a conversation about how some people are so quick to claim injury and insult from every little thing. Folks, you know the lesson we need to learn as a society is? Grow a skin! Toughen up! Everyone is NOT out to get you. Don't take everything personal, and learn to pick your battles.

Also, this is cute for you feminists too... Alt+11 my keypad0 is this: ♂. Alt+12 is this:♀. Is that somehow asserting men are superior or something? Having one number-code higher doesn't make me feel special or anything, so why would it make anyone feel insulted?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love how that little fluke started a conversation that was even longer than the one about how people can't spell any more... (Country Fried STAKE anyone?)

Amelia said...

You already know my position on this post.

And the fact that you don't feel special is part of your privilege: Why would you feel special about something that you're so used to?

(The Korean) Andrew said...

Well to be fair as you described it Alt F11 = ♂ (the male symbol) and Alt F12 = ♀ is female...

I will agree that the matter is trivial, and that the gender role issue may seem trivial at first, until you realize the pressure it puts on people to not be themselves. I think you are right though, not everyone is "out to get" people or actively seeking to enforce gender roles by marketing gendered easter eggs. The problem is that they enforce them w/o realizing that they are doing it, and what Aimee, myself, and all true feminists are attempting to do is raise awareness of this so as to prevent passive acceptance of a rhetoric of indoctrination.


Also screw your picture; feedin' manfolk more eggs... I see what's going on here, it's cholesterol induced male lifespan reduction in action! TO ARMS! TO ARMS!