Sunday, June 1, 2008

Indiana v. Logic

I know I don't post that often, but I saw something today that absolutely infuriated me. My father and I were driving back from Indiana today - because we go there for the cheaper gas because prices around me are just getting ridiculous - and I saw a billboard (see picture above) on the side of the tollway. It was rather hard to miss, a giant, white billboard with the words "Out of Iraq" in big black letters across the top and the word "Now!" in bold, red letters. At the very top and very bottom of the billboard were urls for two different websites... before I get to the websites, I'd like to say my piece about the quick, total withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

It is ludicrous. Plain and simple.

I believe Ann Coulter sums up the reason we are over there best: "There can be no 'political solution' in Iraq until the Iraqis are safe, which I think requires a military solution. Political solutions tend to present themselves in the wake of military solutions." We went to Iraq initially on a quest to fight terrorists. Terrorists are everywhere, but, as the news continues to prove, they are especially in Iraq. Our troops are over there with the mission of making Iraq safe for those who live there. Until that job is done, they cannot withdraw. To leave now would be to repeat history: after World War I, all foreign countries withdrew from Germany, leaving it in complete ruin (economic, political, physical). This led to a totalitarian government in Germany, which ultimately allowed Hitler to rise to power, preying on the worst fears of the citizens. To leave Iraq in a state of chaos, which is what would happen were troops to pull out on January 20, 2009 (should a Democrat be elected to office - Heaven forbid), the country would have the perfect conditions for the rise of a Middle Eastern Hitler... only instead of the Holocaust targeting Jews, homosexuals, and the mentally retarded, everyone in America would be targeted; instead of killing with carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide showers, they'll use suicide bombers.

Arguing that the number of deaths in Iraq are a reason for withdrawal is also a weak argument. Since the start of the War, approximately 4000 US troops have died in combat (link). Not to downplay the noble deaths these American troops died, but if the Democrats want to complain about "deaths that could have been prevented," there were approximately 1.21 million abortions in 2005 alone (link) - talk about needless deaths, those far out number the soldiers who honorably died fighting a war to preserve freedom not only for our country, but for the Middle East as well.

The first website is rather basic and run by the Northwest Indiana Coalition Against the Iraq War (NWICAIW). They advocate rallies and radio show appearances to spread their cause... they have minutes for their meetings, schedules for upcoming rallies and events... and a printable fact sheet about the war - that the link does not work to. They do not state reasons they are against the war, other solutions to the war, or anything other than the fact that we should leave... now.

Now, on to the other website, which is also rather basic. The PeaceRoots Alliance states that they are "working together for a peaceful, just and sustainable world." A noble goal to be sure, however, this is not a realistic goal. Peace cannot be attained by negotiating with the "nice man" who has a bomb strapped to his chest, a detonator in his hand, and a wicked grin on his face. In the top corner of their banner, there is a young child holding a sign that reads, "stop war, bring peace & love." Again - unrealistic if the enemy you are fighting sees you as an infidel who must be killed in order to honor their god. Another main slogan: "Farms not arms: farmers say no to War & terror." Apparently, the farmers do not understand that the War in Iraq is a war ON terror itself... therefore, they cannot be against the war and terror... because if they were truely against terror, they'd have to be for the war. Their vision statement states: "We seek to create a peaceful, just and sustainable world for future generations by emphasizing our common humanity, promoting non-violence and working to remove the root causes of war." I still find it difficult to find what the humanity in the smiling man with the bomb strapped to his chest... By removing the root causes of war, one would have to remove man himself from the equation. Without man, there would be no war. Since this is not possible, preventing war is not possible. If they wish to promote non-violence, they should start with the terrorists, not with the American soldiers, who are over there protecting the Iraqis from the violent terrorists and, also, preventing the terrorists from coming here.

9 comments:

Brett said...

Great post. I agree with you 100%

Goose said...

I agree, but I am sure our liberal countrymen will nitpick over silly things like if they personally believe infanticide is excusable or that somehow the American troops are traitors. Both of which would seem to miss the real point of this post and be counterproductive to discussion.

lindsay said...

Comparing soldier deaths in Iraq and abortion rates are like comparing apples and refrigerators. So utterly different that you lost me for the rest of the post.

Brett said...

"Comparing soldier deaths in Iraq and abortion rates are like comparing apples and refrigerators."

Why? I get flack all of the time for being pro-life and pro death penalty and I see no similarities at all to them either!

Rachel said...

Same here - if those on the left can complain about people being pro-life, yet pro-death penalty, how is comparing being pro-abortion and anti-war like apples to refrigerators??

Amelia said...

I like how this blog is so wrapped up in their own little world. Before any "liberals" posted comments, goose was already so sure he knew their response. Also, I would like to know the purpose of this blog. Goose makes it seem like you are here to kill liberal ideas. That's nice, but it's not exactly what you're advertising.

Smothering debate before it's even started is unprofessional (notice how his comment took this thread off track for the most part). But I guess, from reading the rest of this blog, that professionalism is not your aim. You want to yak about your views without opposition. That's fine, I guess. It's your blog, and I know that not everyone can talk about politics in a level-headed manner. It's easier to just mudsling and be mean.

But you should put a disclaimer up saying: Anyone who is not conservative is not really welcome here, although we won't get any traffic if you don't come here, so we have to allow you in.

Just a thought, since I am really being turned off from this blog because of the manner in which both authors choose to express themselves.

Not that it matters one bit, because, after all, I am liberal.

Rachel said...

Amelia -
I'm sorry if my views, ideas, or phrasings may offend you. However, I do have a right to freedom of speech - as you do with your blog. I do not agree with a lot of what you put in your blog just like you don't agree with what I write. But I do not recall posting a sign saying "liberals not welcome." They are free to say what they wish, and I will debate with them. I am not "mudsling[ing] and being mean," I am simply stating my opinions and conclusions. I do not completely understand how you can say, "She has the right to express herself in this way if she chooses to" when discussing the woman at Yale and her controversial artwork, yet you have an issue with "the way [I] express [myself]"?

Amelia said...

hahahahaa.

Wrong.

I am saying that if your true intention is debate then you could back off a little when it comes to (Goose included) automatically attacking liberals before they even comment on posts (see Goose's first post here).

That's inflammatory. That's not a way to start good debate, even though you say that's what you want to do.

I know this may be hard for you to understand, but if you want people to read your posts (not necessarily yours - my last comment was mostly critique of this entire blog, not this single post) and comment and debate, it's best if you can find a way not to go about automatically making liberals be the enemy.

Attack the issue. Not the people who hold opposite views.

The problem I have with this blog is that normally the posts do things the other way around.

And it's not really welcoming at all for those of us who do not call ourselves conservatives.

Anonymous said...

Iraq right now is doing quite well, comparatively. Iraq is by almost any measure safer today than at any time in the past three years. Sadr City was just taken over with out one gun shot. And I think the Iraq government needs a swift kick in the butt, lets say, a timetable for withdraw. Are military cannot keep up with protecting three different countries. Epically when the third, Iraq, was a complete mistake. But no one cares now, there is an election going on.